How to Find a General Contractor Near You. Start with a plan and some ideas, and try to get multiple bids. Create a detailed scope of work, then shop around for referrals. Ask family members, friends and acquaintances for recommendations, and search web resources like Angi, Homeadvisor, Yelp and Google.
What is the difference between renovation and remodel?
Definitions. Technically, a renovation and remodel are defined differently. While a remodel changes the form of something (like adding a new shower to an existing bathroom), a renovation focuses more on restoring something old into good repair (fixing up a creaky floor, for example).
How do I choose a local contractor?
- Make sure the contractor is licensed.
- Shop around before hiring a contractor.
- Ask for personal recommendations.
- Verify the contractor's business location and telephone number.
- Verify the contractor's workers' compensation and commercial general liability insurance coverage.
How do I choose a project contractor?
- Level of industry/business-relevant experience.
- Familiarity with the hazards of your industry.
- Previous health and safety performance records.
- Safety policies, risk assessments and training records.
Why are local contractors better?
These long-standing associations often result in cost savings, as the construction company can negotiate better prices for materials and labor. Their familiarity with the local market also enables them to recommend cost-effective solutions tailored to the area, maximizing your budget.
How do I interview a contractor for a remodel?
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have a contracting license and proper insurance?
- Will you obtain the permits and set up the inspections required?
- What's the timeline for the project?
- What does the payment schedule look like?
- Is there a dedicated team working on my project?